Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Where is Just as Important as The Who

The who,
The what,
The where,
The when,
And the why.

All very important things when it come to any type of writing- fiction, nonfiction, and reporting alike.

Setting refers to both the time and place- the when and the where.

So, snowie, when and where does The Night Stalker take place? And why? I know you are just dying to tell us.

Why yes I am, anonymous, nonexistent follower.

TNS takes place in the north eastern United States. The majority of the story occurs in the Appalachian Mountains in Pennsylvania. Gail spends much of her time traveling through the mountains, and trying to make her way to Maine where her mother reportedly is hiding.

Originally, the story was to start out in the Rocky Mountains and Gail was supposed to hike across the entire United States. That became a bit lengthy.

I chose to set the Night Stalker in the woods because the woods can be a very harsh environment. Also, there are plenty of nooks and crannies for fugitive and Rebels to hide out. The beginning of the war was characterized by nuclear bomb threats and complete annihilation of large cities. The safest place to live was in a secluded area, underground. For Gail, this means a bomb shelter protected by hundreds of tons of rock in the middle of one of the harshest mountain ranges in the world.

I placed the main Rebel base along the Coast of North East Maine. To me, the state seemed like to most logical starting point for the Rebel's counter attack. It is easily defendable and not very important to the Alliance. Also, the have access to the sea, making it easier to move people and troops from place to place, continent to continent.

As always, I hope you enjoyed this post and are getting really excited to start reading this. What do you say to being my beta reader? Just two more chapters to write!

Also, I lied when I said that his would be my last Night Stalker Q&A. I nearly forgot to tell you why I'm writing the book in the first place. Stay tuned!

What do you thing of the book so far?

The best of writing,
~Snowie

No comments:

Post a Comment