Thursday, August 23, 2012

According To A Calendar


According to my cute little white board calendar hanging over my bed, I am supposed to blog about something today. I hate calendars with a passion. Not only do they remind me of how much time I have wasted in my life, they also make be want to do things. Like run. But, if it were not for a calendar, I would get absolutely nothing done, and neither would the rest of the world. Tonight, my calendar reminded me that I was supposed to post something on one of my two blogs. Unfortunately, on my other blog, called AnAwfulLotOfRunning, I am also posting tomorrow for this friday thing that I like to do. So, I guess I am stuck with you guys. Just kidding! I love being stuck with you guys. Unluckily, or luckily, whatever way you view it, I have had a very long day, so I leave you with a short writing challenge. 

This is a challenge I heard about a while ago. By a while I mean 2010 Olympics a while ago. Back then I was a slightly but not really big member of the Behind the Name Writer's Lounge. The lounge was a whole different story back then. It wasn't all about writing games. Serious writers gave you serious answers to the serious questions you had about writing. It was all very Serious... Then Severus came along (HaHa Harry Potter Reference... Sorry). Behind the Name is also where I met M.L., my good internet writing friend. (View Her Figment and Buy Her Book! It's pretty amazing) Anyways, back to the 2010 Olympics. Way back when I was a BTN member, I held the Writing Olympics. Basically, everyday of the actual Olympics, I would post a prompt. People would post their story in the thread below and people could vote on a story by messaging me. For every prompt, there would be a winner. At the end of the Writing Olympics, I counted up all of the votes and declared an Overall Winner. I can't remember who won, I just remembered having so much fun and being so proud of actually putting on and managing this event that people from all over the world participated in. I think everyone was really happy, even if there were no real prizes. I actually thought about doing this on the blog or figment. Maybe I'll do it for the 2014 Winter Olympics.


Now for the moment you have been waiting for....

Write a story without using the letters Q, T, W, X, Y, Z.

It's harder than it seems. For example, you can't use the words Queen, It, Quiet, Zebra, Yell, Yellow, Wind, or White. This challenge is really helpful for identifying what words you use and what could possibly be a better word. You pay closer attention to what you are writing and you find new ways to describe things. 

I hope you have fun with the Writing Challenge!

~Snowie

1 comment:

  1. Oh god. I think I can live without the other letters, but no T or Y? I've got to try this at some point.

    Hey, it's me! :) Thanks for the shout-out! :D Yes...I miss the old Lounge...

    ReplyDelete