Sunday, June 26, 2011

Book Reviews, Movie Reviews

I just saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, finished Torchwood: Another Life, and am now listening to Jason Aldean's Don't You Wanna Stay with rain in the background. From anyone's point of view it was a good day.

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 


Captain Jack Sparrow
Pirates of the Caribbean
Disney
I really liked this Pirates. Story line was great! Good plot, funny lines, great characters, amazing sets and locations. There were some parts that I would have kept out and I would have definitely changed the end. I do hope that there will be another because this movie didn't go out with a bang. It ends with Captain Jack saying,"A Pirate's Life for me." I am told that there is a clip on Angelica holding the Jack Sparrow Voodoo doll and smiling, but I never got to see it.

Main Characters:
Captain Jack Sparrow (Johnny Depp)
Angelica Malon (Penelope Cruz)

Rated
PG-13

Links
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1298650/
http://disney.go.com/pirates/#/characters/


Torchwood: Another Life
Peter Anghelides


  Can't get enough of Torchwood! It's so good! How good? So good! Let's face it. Anyone named Captain Jack Something is the best person ever. When I first started reading this, I went into it thinking no way will the book be better than the T.V. show. I was really wrong. The characters were strong and stayed true to the episode characters. They were witty, like usual which caused a good laugh every now and then.

Main Characters
Jack Harkness- A man who can never die
Gwen Cooper- The New Girl
Toshiko- The Techno Geek
Owen- The Doctor
Ianto- Coffee Boy (Save Ianto!)

These five people make up the Torchwood team. They hunt aliens and alien artifacts that fall through the rift, a crack in space and time running right through Cardiff.

Setting
Cardiff, present day

The book lived up to my expectations. It didn't ruin the T.V. show for me, the characters behaved the same as they did in the show, the plot had a nice grueling climax ending with a couple of nice deaths and a slightly shocked Gwen. The characters were realistic. I could really connect with Gwen and what she was feeling. I do wish that Captain Jack was included a bit more. The book was mostly written in third person, so it did jump from character to character, but rarely was it with Jack at all. There was a nice twist when I discovered that some chapters where written in second person using "you" instead of "I" or "John". It was a nice and neat change that most books don't contain. At first I thought I'd be bothered by it, but then I actually read it. When things are written in second person, I feel like it drags me deeper into the story. I feel as if I am actually there.

Rated
PG-14

Click Here! For more on this book.

Next Book: Torchwood: Border Princes by Dan Abnett


Well, I guess that is all for now! Have a wonderful and amazing day....

~Snowie

"Did everybody see that because I will not be doing it again." -Captain Jack Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment